Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Ranch In San Jose





Today, Tuesday, I played with fellow Daddy Longball members Jimmy B, Jeremy G and Jerry F. The Ranch  is in South San Jose, between the Hellyer and Capitol offramps off US-101 on the east side of the freeway. This is not a municipal tract, but a Valenica quality course that challenges anyone who cannot hit the ball where they want and in the air. The first 12 or 13 holes had forced carries off the tee and a few of the holes had barranca in front of and around the green.
I think that play has dropped off at The Ranch. (here's the webpage) as they have a Monday and Tuesday special for only $39 with cart. On the weekends I'm told that it is a hundred dollar course. This is a course that you do not walk. But since they don't allow carts on the fairways, you get your walking in.
We played from the white tees and though it was under 6000 yards, the slope was 128. The course was in great shape, but some of the greens were IMHO unfairly sloped.
I lost 15 balls today on my way to a 70-58 128 that I posted 123 on. With 45 putts.
I don't know if it is a good course for a DLGC outing. Play gets slow when the carts are on the path only. But the views are spectacular and it is one of the most challenging courses to play within an hour of the East Bay.
I will say that all the forced carries had drop areas so crappy golfers like your humble web master wouldn't be at the tee hitting an entire box of balls on one hole into the barranca.

No comments:

Post a Comment